The three-phase cease-fire proposal awaits Hamasâ response.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, reaffirming Washingtonâs support of a cease-fire proposal submitted by Israel.
During his meeting with Mr. Netanyahu in Jerusalem, Mr. Blinken said the proposed deal would lead to an immediate cease-fire in Gaza, the release of all hostages in the hands of Hamas, and a significant increase in humanitarian aid across the war-torn enclave, according to a State Department spokesman.
âAt this point, Hamas no longer is capable of carrying out another Oct. 7, just one of Israelâs main objectives in this war, and quite frankly a righteous one,â President Biden said at the White House.
Mr. Blinken assured Mr. Netanyahu of Washingtonâs âironclad commitment to Israelâs security, including through ensuring October 7 can never be repeated.â
The top U.S. diplomat also reiterated the Biden administrationâs belief that the cease-fire proposal would âunlock the possibility of calm along Israelâs northern border,â where exchanges of fire with the Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon have forced tens of thousands of Israeli residents to flee.
According to a readout from the State Department, the secretary also emphasized the importance of âpreventing the conflict from spreading.â Since October, 2023, the Gaza conflict has driven up tensions across the region, spreading to fronts with Lebanon and Syria and drawing long-range fire at Israeli and U.S. military targets from as far away as Yemen and Iraq.
Pressing for Peace
Earlier on Monday in Egypt, Mr. Blinken called on governments throughout the Middle East to pressure Hamas into accepting the deal.
âMy message to governments throughout the region, to people throughout the region is: If you want a cease-fire, press Hamas to say yes,â he said during a speech at Cairo International Airport.
âIf you want to alleviate the terrible suffering of Palestinians in Gaza, press Hamas to say yes,â he said. âIf you want to get all the hostages home, press Hamas to say yes. If you want to put Israelis and Palestinians alike on the path to more durable peace and security, press Hamas to say yes. If you want to prevent this conflict from spreading, press Hamas to say yes.â
According to President Biden, the first phase of the Israeli proposal would last six weeks and involve the âwithdrawal of Israeli forces from all populated areas of Gazaâ and ârelease of a number of hostages, including women, the elderly, the wounded in exchange for the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.â
A second phase would include an âexchange for the release of all remaining living hostages, including male soldiers.â Israel would also pull out its troops from Gaza.
âAs long as Hamas lives up to its commitments, the temporary ceasefire would becomeâin the words of the Israeli proposal, âthe cessation of hostilities permanently,’â the president announced.
The third and final phase would involve a âmajor reconstruction plan for Gaza.â Any final remains of hostages whoâve been killed would be returned to their families.
Hamas has so far remained silent on the cease-fire deal, especially after Israel carried out a successful rescue operation over the weekend and brought home four Israelis kidnapped by Hamas during the Oct. 7, 2023, attack. Among the captives freed by the dramatic rescue mission is Noa Argamani, a young woman who has emerged on social media as an icon of those suffering from Hamasâ atrocities.
Original News Source Link – Epoch Times
Running For Office? Conservative Campaign Consulting – Election Day Strategies!