Milbank Joins List of Law Firms Striking Deals With Trump

The firm agrees to provide $100 million in pro bono legal services to benefit veterans and other public servants, among other terms.

International law firm Milbank has reached an agreement with the Trump administration to provide at least $100 million of pro bono legal services for mutually supported causes, President Donald Trump announced on April 2.

The New York-based firm is now the third to partner with the president rather than face a potential executive order like those the administration has issued targeting other firms.

“Milbank LLP approached President Donald J. Trump and his administration, stating their resolve to help end the weaponization of the justice system and the legal profession,” reads a White House statement Trump shared via his Truth Social platform.

“The president continues to build an unrivaled network of lawyers, who will put a stop to partisan lawfare in America, and restore liberty and justice FOR ALL.”

The legal services to be performed will benefit initiatives that support veterans, military members, law enforcement officers, first responders, and other public servants.

“In furtherance of, and as part of, these activities, Milbank will continue to grow its work with the Milbank Exoneration and Resentencing Review Unit at the Perlmutter Center for Legal Justice at Cardozo Law School,” according to the Trump administration.

Milbank pledged to round out its pro bono committee with politically diverse attorneys to ensure its related projects and practices “are consistent with the objectives of the Firm” and “represent the full political spectrum, including Conservative ideals.”

Other terms of the deal include a commitment to use merit-based hiring practices and a pledge not to deny representation to potential clients based on their political affiliation or a government official’s opposition.

Scott Edelman, Milbank’s chairman, said the agreement was “consistent with Milbank’s core values.”

“After a constructive dialogue with President Trump’s administration, Milbank is pleased that we were so quickly able to find common ground,” Edelman said. He added that the firm “looks forward to continuing its working relationship” with Trump.

Three other prominent law firms—Paul Weiss, Skadden Arps, and Willkie Farr & Gallagher—inked similar deals with the administration to either head off or reverse executive orders suspending their security clearances and government contracts.

Perkins Coie, WilmerHale, and Jenner & Block have chosen a different course of action: litigation.

Trump’s orders accused the firms of engaging in “harmful activity” inconsistent with the United States’ best interests, including racial discrimination.

The firms pushed back on the accusations in their lawsuits, arguing that the president’s directives were retaliatory and violated their constitutional rights to free speech and due process.

Harrison Fields, a White House spokesperson, previously told The Epoch Times in an email that the firms in question, in coordination with Democrats, “weaponized the legal process to try to punish and jail their political opponents.”

Fields said Trump’s executive orders are “lawful directives to ensure that the president’s agenda is implemented and that law firms comply with the law.”

Zachary Stieber and Reuters contributed to this report.

Original News Source Link – Epoch Times

Running For Office? Conservative Campaign Consulting – Election Day Strategies!